No one can tell me that the Lord isn't directly involved in our lives. I have always been involved at my kids schools. Whether it is helping on PTA boards, community councils, in the classrooms with the teachers, reading aide substitute. In January I was called and asked to be the parent representative on the gifted/talented committee for the district. I was involved in the process of creating the handbook for the new program. I was then asked to think about becoming one of the new teacher assistant's for this new program. After much thought and prayer. I decided not to apply for the position. I felt that it would take too much time away from family to help get this program off the ground.( I would have been over 4 schools.) School then started and I was feeling at loose ends because being a sub really doesn't start up until a bit later in the year. I had set a goal for myself to attend the temple once a week while my kids were in school and I was still tending up at the recreation center so that helped. I went visiting teaching this past Thursday. One of the ladies I visit teach is a reading aide at the new school in Smithfield. She mentioned her interviews at Summit and Birch Creek (the new school). She told us some of the questions etc. That same day at around 4 p.m. I received a call on my cell phone while I was running around. It was from the principal at Summit Elementary where Cole and Katie attend. He asked if I would be interested in a reading aide position at Summit. He had been given my name by a few of the teachers. I told him I would be interested. So I went to the temple that morning with Layne and then went directly to the interview. I walked into the school as Cole's class was coming out. His teacher asked if I needed Cole. I told her no, that I was hear for an interview. She was so excited and said she would put in a good word or that she had put in a good word, I wasn't quite sure. Then I checked in with the principal who asked me to give him a few minutes. Then another teacher I knew came down the hall and asked if I was there for something fun. I said I was there for an interview. He said, "You would be a great addition to our faculty." Then he went into the office and waited to talk with principal as well. The principal then came out and said you can go into my office, then he talked with Mr. Sheffer for a minute. Mr. Sheffer said, "You don't even need to interview her, just hire her now." One of the secretary's came in to help with the interview. As she was sitting down after the principal shut the door, he asked me how I knew everyone. To which the secretary and I replied, I am always in the school doing something. She said, "She is one of our best voluteers." They then went through the questions, more as a formality than anything else. At the end the principal looked at the secretary and said are you thinking what I am thinking? She said, "Yes. The dark green bar." They had a color coded spread sheet for positions. They offered me the position of working with Wende Knight (another teacher I know) to start the Wings program at Summit. (Basically this is for the gifted kids in the younger grades that the district can't help right now.) I will then be working with another of the teacher's I know really well and who is on the gifted/talented committee for the district with me, Judy Merkley. He asked me how that sounded. I said, "Great". He then told me he really thought this was heaven sent for the team to be together. He then realized that I hadn't even applied for the position so he called the District personnel person and said I am sending over a superstar that I have hired for this position. Basically since I was already on the District payroll as a sub all they needed to do was put me on the time clock for Summit as this new postition. When I was leaving the office we ran into two other teachers one of which was Judy Merkley. Mindy Richardson the other teacher said, "Oh she would be so great!" The principal told her it was already done. It worked out so well because I don't start until 11:30 and go until the end of the school day. So I will still be able to tend on Monday's and keep my gym membership, be able to run errands in the morning and still attend the temple once a week. Plus I will be working in the gifted program that I wanted to work in but not have the stress of 4 schools. Needless to say I am thrilled!
3 comments:
YAY! Gotta love it when things work out.
Congratulations!!
Congrats!! YOu will be a great asset to that program!!
Post a Comment